In this article, we will study about myths of java programming which are just a misconception and incorrect views about java.
Different myths of Java programming are given below:
#1. Program is Slow (Because of Java):
- It is often said that swing is slow which is totally incorrect.
- GUI components that are created in the swing are controlled from java which increases its portability and makes it controllable from within a java program.
- Some applications do not require complex GUI that is maintained by swing like menu bars, buttons, etc. while mouse and keyboard processing is done by AWT.
- The normal windowing environment is now suspended by the latest version of Java.
#2. Memory-related Complaint:
- Another memory-related complaint about Java is that the garbage collector in Java is executing at poorly timed intervals which causes the application to halt for seconds till the collector sweeps and cleans.
- JVM has different garbage collectors that can be fined tuned from the command line.
- So, performance information of the collector can be gathered and analyzed as java offers many tools for these tasks including jps, jstack, etc.
#3. Java is Too High-Level:
- A misconception that usage of Java’s classes, objects and inheritance provides imposes heavy overhead without providing coding benefit.
- But Java has a large class of library which has the high speed I/O and advanced 2D,3D graphics concepts with a wide range of networking techniques.
- Also, the advantages of an object-oriented design enriched with UML makes the large and complex system more manageable during development and maintenance.
#4. Java machine independence means fast operations like direct Video RAM I/O are impossible:
- It has been addressed in recent versions of Java which has introduced a full-screen exclusive mode (FSEM) that has suspended the normal windowing environment.
- It provides and allows an application direct access to the underlying graphics hardware. It also provides controls over screen resolution and image depth.
- The principal aim of FSEM is to speed up graphics-intensive applications like games.
Read More: How To Use Singleton Design Pattern In Java
#5. Java is Slow:
- Yes, this concept was true regarding Java long back.
- Bust as java matured over the years, this slowness problem of java has been vanished off.
- Java has evolved to be an effective programming language that doesn’t have performance issues.
#6. The open JDK is for academic’s use and you cannot use it in a bigger application production system:
- This is the greatest myth in the Java world.
- For example, a few years back Twitter switched to Java by replacing Ruby.
- This change was done to obtain high performance and for this, they are using OpenJDK.
- According to a survey, Twitter has about 250 million tweets each day.
#7. Java version doesn’t matter:
- Many people have a misconception that they can keep on using 1.4 forever and it will not affect performance.
- But Java is steadily being improving over this past years 1.6 is faster than 1.5 similarly 1.5 is much faster than 1.4.
- Also, you can run the 1.4-byte code on the higher versions.
#8. Java Installation is a nightmare:
- There is a misconception that user must be a Java expert in order to execute a java application which includes:
- Java has to be on the machine before the application will run
- It is not possible to compile the application for a specific platform.
- All these problems can be solved by using good installation software.
- Java Web Start can be used to download applications and it has been improved significantly since J2SE 1.4.
#9. Applets can read your hard drive and delete your files:
- If an applet tries to access local files it will throw a security Exception. If uncaught, the applet will get crash but no file access occurs.
#10. Java requires a web browser and only runs in a web browser:
- Most of the Java users are familiar with an applet that runs inside a web browser.
- Java application can run like a normal program by installing JVM with the help of which you gain the ability to run java programs.
#11. Java Is the Only Programming Language You need to Learn:
- You can build a plethora of items with skillful and powerful libraries of Java.
- However, if you are in a mood to create applications that are rich in performance-sensitivity, or need to manipulate hardware appropriately, then it’s best to use different languages depending on your work.
#12. Java Insulates You From The Hardware:
- If you’re not attempting to write process control applications, the most frequent hardware you would want to control is video. Java currently possesses an extensive bundle of libraries to deal directly with various video controllers.
Thus, Java actually holds a lot more potential than many people realize. It’s more than just applets – Java software can run inside a web server or standalone. All the complaints about java that it is slow, it has memory-related issues, etc. are just myths of Java programming and that these misconceptions should be removed with clear concepts and strategies.
Java is an excellent tool to create programs and a few myths shouldn’t stop anyone from relishing in its benefits. If you are interested to know more about Java, you can try the ‘Java for beginners Step-by-step hands-on guide to Java‘ online tutorial to learn the language from scratch.